Options   View topic - Sinus: Sinusitis Treatment: Help is on the Way

Board index  >  All About Sinuses  >  Sinusitis Research and News

Post a reply
Sinus: Sinusitis Treatment: Help is on the Way

Sinus: Sinusitis Treatment: Help is on the Way
by JaniceGold1966 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:53 pm

Sinus - Sinusitis Treatment - Help is on the Way

Mayo Clinic researchers have made great strides in recent years regarding sinusitis treatment and have come up with a new therapy for chronic sufferers called topical antifungal therapy. This particular sinusitis treatment is still new and is not widely practiced. This author, a sinusitis sufferer of long standing with two painful operations under his belt, has been in contact with one of the Mayo Clinic research physicians. I was pointed to several papers and articles describing the research completed thus far, the theory behind the research, and the resulting therapy.

Antifungals such as Amphotericin B and Itraconazole are used in this sinusitis treatment regimen. These have already been approved by the FDA for other uses, and they can be mixed by a compounding pharmacy such as Anazao to make the topical solution needed for this new therapy. Amphotericin B, for example, was only available in my local pharmacy as an injection medication. The pharmacist was not aware that it is sometimes reformulated as a topical spray for sinusitis treatment. Patients spray the antifungal into their nostrils daily. About 75% of the chronic sinus sufferers in one of the Mayo Clinic studies saw significant improvement in their conditions following this regimen. The more interesting an article, the more takers there are for the article. So we have made it a point to make this article on Spray Sinusitis as interesting as possible!

Also contacted Accentia, the biopharmaceutical company who has obtained a license from the Mayo Foundation to produce and market medications based on the Mayo Clinic research. They informed me that they plan to market a product based on Amphotericin B, which will have the brand name SinuNase. They will start clinical trials soon, and I submitted my name as a possible participant. Apparently I would be a good candidate since I've had sinus surgeries that didn't cure my problems. As we got to writing on Sinus, we found that the time we were given to write was inadequate to write all that there is to write about Sinus! So vast are its resources.

Topical Antifungal Therapy is a New Form of Sinusitis Treatment

It takes time for a new approach to become accepted in the medical community at large. I asked the Mayo research physician if he knew of a colleague in the Denver area, where I reside, who was utilizing this approach. He responded that he didn't know anyone there, but gave me two names of physicians in Texas, which I also asked about. So it is obvious that this approach to sinusitis treatment is not yet mainstream therapy, but it does have momentum. For people who have received sinusitis treatment which has not improved their suffering, more details regarding this and other sinus related subjects can be found at the web site in the resource box for this article. The length of an article is rather immaterial about its response from people. People are more interested in the matter about Sinus, and not length.

Simple and general terms, the Mayo Clinic research showed that some people (i.e., chronic sinusitis sufferers), have a harmful immune reaction to fungi that others do not experience. The research demonstrated that fungi are present in the air and show up in the nasal mucus of just about everyone. In the noses of chronic sinus sufferers, it showed that certain types of white blood cells will attack the fungi that are present. In doing so these cells create a compound that damages nasal membranes. Once damaged, bacteria can easily enter and cause pain, inflammation and infection. Conventional sinusitis treatment often includes antibiotics to attack the bacteria. This new sinusitis treatment aims to attack the fungi instead, thus avoiding the nasal membrane damage in the first place. One drawback is that it is not easy to determine if a patient is someone whose white blood cells attack fungi in the nose or not. It is also not known why this white blood cell reaction occurs in some people and not in others. People are inclined to think that some matter found here that is pertaining to Spray Sinusitis is false. However, rest is assured, all that is written here is true!

Nature can be the reason why you feel a physical condition like sinusitis. Infectious organisms and environmental irritants are only some of the natural factors that can cause your sinuses to become inflamed, infected and damaged. But nature can also provide the necessary antidotes for sinusitis. :o.

Dietary Supplements

Eat dishes rich in garlic, onion, horseradish, pepper and ginger to make mucus thinner and easier to blow out of your nasal passages. These are types of foods that can treat sinusitis because of their antibiotic and antiseptic elements.

Fruits and Juices

Take lots of foods rich in vitamin C. These will help your body fight better, especially for upper respiratory conditions like sinusitis. Citrus fruits and juices help in reducing mucus secretion, and they have antibacterial attributes that fight off infections.

Hot Beverages

Hot tea and soup can soothe your swollen throat and bring moisturized relief to the dry nasal passages as well. Nasal congestion is also eased because swelling is decreased and mucus is discharged with the help of these hot beverages. Reading all this about Sinusitis Infection is sure to help you get a better understanding of Sinusitis Infection. So make full use of the information we have provided here.

Nasodren Sinusitis Treatment Your Discount Chemist

Steam Sinusitis symptoms such as nasal congestion, swelling of the nasal passages, and difficulty in breathing can be alleviated by humidifying the sinus areas. You can inhale steam from a hot shower or from hot water in a bowl or sink. The trapped infectious organisms and unwanted mucus can also be flushed out faster after inhaling steam either through the nose or the mouth. Thinking of what to do upon reading this article on Herbs Sinusitis? Well you can very well use the information constructively by imparting it to others.

There are other types of cures that are labeled as natural, or nature's offerings. The premise is, basically, everything came from nature. But when natural elements are manipulated, engineered and/or mixed into something new, they can be classified as different from what a natural cure is. The cures mentioned above are as natural as you can get. Hopefully they can help you in turning to the most basic cures from nature as you battle with improving your sinus condition.

Hot Compress

When feeling facial pain, headache and inflammation/swelling because of your sinusitis, a small towel or cloth can be used to apply hot compress to your face and experience relief. Hot compress reduces sinus and nasal tissue inflammation. Its effects are also similar with that of the effects of steam inhalation - congestion is lessened, and mucus drainage becomes easier.

Cleanliness, perfection, and fragrance are the embodiment of a modern, civilized person. Bad breath ' or halitosis, in medical terminology ' can hinder that image you are trying to project. Not only that, but it can also seriously hamper you from forming social relations with other individuals as you might be too embarrassed to talk to anyone or others are turned off by the offensive odor.

• But perhaps second only to foods and hygiene, the most common factor associated with bad breath is the sinus drainage.
  • Experts say that 85 to 90 % of people with bad breath have this stench coming from their mouths.
  • Rarely do you see cases where bad breath comes out of the nose.
  • When they do, this condition is actually caused by sinus drainage bad breath.
  • Revision is very important when writing or speaking about a topic.
  • We had a lot of drafting to do to come to this final product on Sinusitis.

Furthermore, the infection causing sinusitis may also cause inflammation of the nasal passages. These nasal passages connect with the nose through your sinuses to let air into the lungs. When these nasal passages are inflamed, the channel is narrowed as a result of congestion, thus adding to the whole problem by blocking the normal drainage of mucus. As a result, the mucus gets trapped within these nasal passages and starts to attract bacteria, which thrive on dark, damp places. :lol:

What is Sinus Drainage Bad Breath?

Sinus drainage bad breath is little more than a symptom of sinusitis, a condition where in the sinuses become infected or inflamed. It can be due to a viral infection, as in the case of colds, or to allergens, as in the case of allergies. Sometimes, sinusitis may even be related to asthma attacks. Whatever the cause, sinusitis more often than not leads to sinus drainage bad breath. We tried to create as much matter for your understanding when writing on Symptom Sinusitis. We do hope that the matter provided here is sufficient to you.

How to Solve this Problem?

Well, the only way to really solve this problem is to identify the cause. There are many possible causes of bad breath from the foods that you eat to improper oral hygiene (or lack thereof) and certain underlying medical conditions, such as diabetes, periodontal disease (gum disease), among others.

Let us first learn where it is located to know more about what is cavernous sinus. The cavernous sinus is called the lateral sellar compartment and it is located inside the human head. The cavity is made up of a set of veins within a thin wall. It is seen on one side of the temporal bone and sphenoid bone of the skull.

The Pituitary Gland Lies in Between the Cavernous Sinus Pair

The cavernous sinus compresses if there is a growth in the pituitary gland ultimately leading to tumors and opthalmpplegia (loss of ophthalmic sense) and maxillary nerve compression leads to maxillary sensory loss. It was at the spur of the moment that we ventured to write something about Sinus. Such is the amount of matter that is available on Sinus.

How to Detect

CT scan is taken to get an idea of bone and calcium. MRI provides features of soft tissues inside the sinus and the surrounding structures. Orbital views are also needed, seeing superior and inferior orbital veins helps in diagnosing the venous pressure. Based on the findings further treatment could be given. We have written a humorous anecdote on Sinus Tumor to make it's reading more enjoyable and interesting to you. This way you learn there is a funny side to Sinus Tumor too! ;)

The symptoms found are blindness, ocular and conjunctival congestion, ophthalmoplegia, elevation of ocular pressure and pain. The signs may be one-sided or two-sided; they may be sharp and progress slowly. We were furnished with so many points to include while writing about Sinus Infection that we were actually lost as to which to use and which to discard! :o.

What is Cavernous Sinus Thrombosis?

Cavernous sinus thrombosis seldom occurs now days. Ten percent of people may be affected by blindness in this case. Corneal ulceration is caused due to lid closure. Due to contact of the cavernous sinus with other venous channels, an infection may occur. It has to be diagnosed clinically and no lab culture is prevalent. The results of one reading this composition is a good understanding on the topic of Cavernous Sinus. So do go ahead and read this to learn more about Cavernous Sinus.

Why is it that some sinusitis sufferers do not respond to normal treatments, medications and surgical procedures and continue to come down with sinus infections regardless of the treatment they have been given? One answer to this question appears to be an atypical immune reaction to fungus, and topical anti-fungal therapies heave been developed by Mayo Clinic researchers. Another possible answer to this question has surfaced in the past couple of years: biofilms. This article is meant to be a brief introduction to biofilms and how they might be a factor in recurring sinus infections.

Definition, Description and Medical Implications of Biofilms

What are biofilms and how to they resist normal treatments for sinusitis such as antibiotics? 'Biofilms are composed of microbal communities that are attached to an environmental surface. The microorganisms usually encase themselves in an extra-cellular polysaccharide or slime matrix'. In other words, biofilms are a collection of bacteria and other microbes that encase themselves in a sort of slime. It is apparently the slime material that protects the bacteria from being destroyed by antibiotics, for example. Biofilms have been shown to play a major part in other medical conditions involving chronic infections, such as cystic fibrosis, Legionnaire's Disease, and otitis media, the most common type of acute ear infection in children in the U.S., among others. In addition, they can also form on medical implanted products such as stents, implants, catheters, and other devices. They appear to destroy cilia when present in sinusitis patients, and the loss of cilia is detrimental to the normal drainage system of nasal passages, so this is a serious issue since destroyed cilia cannot be replaced. The more you read about Sinusitis, the more you get to understand the meaning of it. So if you read this article and other related articles, you are sure to get the required amount of matter for yourself.

Non-Medical Implications of Biofilms

Biofilms are not just associated with medical conditions, however. In fact biofilms are ubiquitous and can form under the right conditions on almost any kind of surface, including metals, rock, and of course human tissue. Two common examples of biofilms are pond scum and dental plaque. Detrimental biofilms are the cause of billions of dollars in damaged products and equipment systems in such fields as food processing, water treatment and metal-working. The also cause damage by clogging household drains and water pipes. Their effects are not always harmful, however, for example when they attach to the roots of certain plants they seem to aid the transfer of nutrients from the soil to the plant. Also, they are used in sewage treatment facilities to help treat sewage water before it is released to the environment, and they are utilized in treating contaminated ground water as well.

Sinus pressure is the feeling of tightness in the face and behind the eyes. Sinus pressure also refers to the endless pounding of the head. It is caused by the inflammation of the membrane lining the sinus cavity. The inflamed lining does not allow the free exchange of air and mucous between the sinus cavity and the nasal passage causing pressure. This is one of the several symptoms of sinusitis. Sinus pressure is accompanied by slow fever, nasal discharge, jaw pain etc. there are several answers to the question "how to cure sinus pressure" :lol:

Nasal irrigation is a good answer to the problem of how to cure sinus pressure. It clears the nasal passage of the infected mucous. Once the mucous is removed, the pressure automatically clears up. Slang is one thing that has not been included in this composition on Sinusitis Symptoms. It is because slang only induces bad English, and loses the value of English.

You do have sinusitis symptoms, you should go to the doctor as early as possible. Antibiotics may or may not help you because antibiotics work only if sinusitis is caused by bacteria. Decongestants and anti-inflammatory drugs are a good way of curing sinusitis. We needed lots of concentration while writing on Antibiotics Sinusitis as the matter we had collected was very specific and important.

There could be a large number of answers to the problem of how to cure sinus pressure. The foremost task to be faced by people who suffer from sinus pressure is to identify and get rid of the source i.e. sinusitis. Good oral health is the best way to avoid sinus pressure. Using a humidifier can help. People, who are prone to allergies, should stay away from allergens like smoke and dust. Cleaning the nasal passage properly with a good nasal wash also helps. The magnitude of information available on Sinusitis can be found out by reading the following matter on Sinusitis. We ourselves were surprised at the amount!

Other ways of answering the question "how to cure sinus pressure" could be taking a hot compress on the parts of the face where you feel the pressure. Inhaling steam can also give instantaneous relief.

Sinus pressure can be confused with migraine or other allergies at times. It is very important for the patient to be sure of the fact that he/ she has sinusitis before beginning any medication. An x-ray or a CT scan are also done at times to confirm sinusitis. Writing this composition on Sinusitis was a significant contribution of ours in the world of literature. Make this contribution worthwhile by using it.

While in Europe recently, I found that I didn't need to use nasal irrigation to prevent nasal congestion. I did bring along a travel WaterPik device which I often use for this purpose when away from home, but I didn't feel the need to use it even once for the entire month we were gone. I attribute this to the higher humidity levels in Europe compared to those in Colorado where we live.

Upon returning from this latest trip I decided to purchase an inexpensive humidity gauge and put it in our bedroom to deep a closer eye on the actual levels in our sleeping environment. Right now the levels are in the 50% range, which is pretty good. We live at over 7,000 feet of elevation, and we have several windows open at night at this time of year to cool off the room. During most of the year we do use a humidifier, especially in the winter months. When the furnace is on the humidity drops quite a bit, and I will now be able to monitor the levels and make better use of a humidifier with the humidity gauge. Air conditioning will also dry out the air in a room or in an automobile, so keeping close watch of this is important for people like me who continually battle nasal congestion problems. :lol:

The device I purchased was an inexpensive combination thermometer and humidity gauge. It was only about $4, but one can find digital devices with more functionality in the $20-40 range in stores like Kmart or Walmart. I would strongly recommend that people who suffer from chronic sinusitis make this small investment and keep a device to measure relative humidity in their sleep and also possibly their work environments. This simple item can be a significant tool in the regimen of all sinus sufferers to help prevent nasal congestion, especially while sleeping.

Normally use nasal irrigation with a saline solution once or twice per day. It would be unthinkable to go for a month in Colorado without doing this. I would almost certainly come down with a sinus infection during this length of time, even while continuing to take my normal medication.

According to Dr

Robert Ivker, D.O., former President of the American Holistic Medical Association, the ideal level of relative humidity for sinus health is between 35-45%. I noticed in one of the hotels we stayed at in France that the humidity was in the low 70% range, and I'm sure it was at least that high at other times as well during the month. For whatever reason, this level of humidity seems to work better for my particular nasal congestion problems, and I have noticed before the general tendency of having fewer sinus problems while in Europe. We travel there fairly often as we operate tours in France. Dr. Ivker prefers to use a warm mist room humidifier which requires no filters and kills bacteria. He claims to have had good luck with Bionaire Clear Mist units.