Options   View topic - Nasal Congestion

Board index  >  All About Sinuses  >  Otolaryngology - Sinus Problems

Post a reply
Nasal Congestion

Nasal Congestion
by JaniceGold79 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:03 pm

Nasal Congestion - Sinusitis Symptoms and Treatment

Sinusitis is an inflammation of the nasal sinuses. It is usually caused by infection (bacterial or viral), but can also be caused by allergic reactions or other responses to environmental agents.

Symptoms may last for 3 months or more and include Chronic fatigue, Cough, Facial pain around the eyes or in the forehead or cheeks, Headache (in the front of the head or around the eyes), Nasal congestion, Nasal drainage (yellow, yellow-green, thick), Pain in the roof of the mouth or teeth etc. However, most patients with sinusitis have pain or tenderness in several locations, and symptoms usually do not clearly define which sinuses are inflamed.

Treating sinusitis and nose infections a bacterial infection usually requires one of the new, stronger antibiotics, such as Augmentin, Ceclor or Ceftin. These drugs may be given in larger doses for a longer period of time (up to four weeks) than required for a brief bout of sinusitis. The doctor may also recommend continued use of a prescription nasal inhaler for several months to keep the inflammation down and prevent a recurrence. :o.

Humidifiers and Salt-Water Sprays

Dry-air heating systems and air-conditioning can cause sinus membranes to dry out, crack and become vulnerable to irritants, inflammation and infection. Keeping a humidifier running in your home and office or using an over-the-counter salt-water spray (inhaled through the nose) five or six times a day can provide dramatic relief.

Other symptoms of sinusitis can include fever, weakness, tiredness, a cough that may be more severe at night, and runny nose or nasal congestion. In addition, drainage of mucus from the sphenoids (or other sinuses) down the back of the throat (postnasal drip) can cause a sore throat and can irritate the membranes lining the larynx (upper windpipe). On rare occasions, acute sinusitis can result in brain infection and serious complications. If a bacterial infection is present, antibiotics, such as amoxicillin, erythromycin or sulfa drugs, are usually prescribed for about 10 days. Your doctor also may prescribe one or more of the following remedies (which can be useful in reducing inflammation in the sinuses and nose and speeding recovery):

Over-the-Counter Nasal Sprays

These products, including Afrin and Dristan, are decongestants in a spray form. They are effective when used for a few days, but can be addicting when used for longer periods of time. After using decongestant sprays for three days, people usually experience a rebound effect - when they stop using the spray, they become even more congested and need more spray for relief. People with chronic allergies or sinus problems should limit the use of decongestant sprays to five treatments a week.

Prescription Inhalers

Several types of prescription nasal inhalers can help reduce sinus inflammation (these are not decongestants and are not habit-forming). Prescription inhalers help heal sinus membranes after the bacteria have been eliminated. These drugs include Beconase, Nasalide and Vancenase (all cortisone derivatives) and Nasalcrom (a non-cortisone drug). When used as directed by a doctor, prescription inhalers can be taken safely for months. The more interesting an article, the more takers there are for the article. So we have made it a point to make this article on Sinuses as interesting as possible!

You have any query related with sinusitis take online advice from doctors online at ***** and ask the doctor, we will provide you medical consultation services within 24 hours.

Normally, the Sinuses are Self Cleaning

Once something interferes with this natural process,the system loses the ability to remove bacteria and pollutants due to thickening of the mucus and blockages of the nasal passages. Normal sinus mucus works in conjunction with tiny hairlike structures called cilia to sweep bacteria and other pollutants from the nasal cavities. Once the cilia become hampered by stagnant and dried mucus they can no longer remove debris. ;)

The neti pot can be a useful tool in helping you manage sinus headache sinusitis and in keeping your sinuses functioning normally. Make the nasal irrigation process a part of your daily hygiene routine and start working to how do i get rid of sinus headache?. Perfection has been achieved in this article on Sinuses. There is hardly any matter left from this article that is worth mentioning.Perfection has been achieved in this article on Sinuses. There is hardly any matter left from this art institute of colorado mentioning.

There is Hope for Those Who Have Become a Victim to this Condition

A small teapot shaped vessel called a neti pot can be used to help augment the body's own cleaning actions and flush out bacteria and irrigate and moisten the sinuses. The neti pot uses a saline mixture to perform the sinus cleaning process. The process of washing your sinuses with a neti pot is called nasal irrigation. This process can help keep the mucus from drying and thickening. By removing stagnant and dried mucus you are helping to eliminate the conditions that leave you vulnerable to bacterial infections.

The neti pot can be used up to four times daily and especially after you know you have been exposed to pollutants and allergens that you know can or will cause you problems. A variety of neti pot salt products are available to perform the irrigation process. Nasal rinse additives are also available that use a variety of herbal or mineral mixtures. Neti pot salt is available in different strengths to offer a variety to users. Stronger mixtures tend to produce extra mucus during the rinse process which can help dislodge mucus deposits.

Q: I Had My Spleen Removed Because of Hodgkins Disease

What should I use for stuffy sinus and constant hoarseness? - Patrick A: In my opinion, you shouldn't "use" anything, but go see a Chinese medicine (CM) practitioner (acupuncturist/herbalist) for the appropriate herbs for your condition, which I cannot diagnose over the internet. I wonder if you are hoarse because of over the counter decongestants? - B.

Know more about cavernous sinus problems, read these three articles: ***** ***** ***** You may be inquisitive as to where we got the matter for writing this article on Sinus. Of course through our general knowledge, and the Internet!

But you can't take them all! And, taking the wrong ones could make you worse. So, get thee to an herbalist - that is, an acupuncturist who knows their herbs. We have an acupuncturist-finding resource which also has some tips for evaluating several drake university before deciding which one to see. Inspiration can be considered to be one of the key ingredients to writing. Only if one is inspired, can one get to writing on any subject especially like Sinuses. :oops:

There are Good Herbs for this- E.G

The formula Ophiopogonis Plus (O+)from Far East Summit. But again, the complexity of the whole condition may make just one formula problematic - this one increase Lung yin, and if you also have sinus congestion, it might even worsen that. So, you'd need some combination like CEZT and O+. We have omitted irrelevant information from this composition on Sinuses as we though that unnecessary information may make the reader bored of reading the composition.

The Spleen in Western and Chinese Medicine Well, first please note that the Spleen of CM is different than the anatomical spleen of western medicine. The western spleen organ is mostly involved with blood, whereas the Chinese medicine Spleen organ-system is about digestion, assimilation, getting energy to the four limbs. In western terms, Spleen qi is probably something like enzymes (though not limited to that), which work with the stomach acid (part of the Stomach qi or yang) to digest the food. The initial stages of this article on Sinus Drainage proved to be difficult. However, with hard work and perseverance, we have succeeded in providing an interesting and informative article for you to read.

Causes of Sinus Congestion There is a connection with the sinuses: In CM, Spleen deficiency leads to dampness and phlegm (this is probably the "wet spleen" you were trying to remember), which can show up in sinus congestion. The Spleen is said to "raise the clear yang and descend the turbid yin." But there are other causes and factors in sinus congestion: inflammation (heat), stress, qi stagnation, and Liver/Gallbladder damp-heat. We take pride in saying that this article on Sinuses is like a jewel of our articles. This article has been accepted by the general public as a most informative article on Sinuses.

Q: I Went to the Doctor Because I Was Hoarse

With the sinus drainage and him thinking that it could be stomach acid, I did try things like Nexium and Nasonex spray, without any luck. In reading some of your website I thought that I read something about a sinus and spleen connection. I think it was something about wet or dry spleen that herbs could help. If you don't have a spleen, it seems that you would be prone to constant sinus problems, which I think I have. It seems like I always have some mucous at the back of my throat. Any ideas? I would appreciate any info you can offer. I will try to locate a Chinese medicine practitioner. Thanks, - Patrick :D.

Hoarseness and the Lung-system In Chinese medicine, we generally attribute hoarseness and loss of voice to dryness. The Lung-system, which includes the throat, is said to "hate dryness." The Lung likes to be moist - so the Lung yin is very important, and dryness is the enemy.

Liu Jun Zi Tang for Spleen deficient dampness Er Chen Tang for phlegm Long Dan Xie Gan Tang for Liver Gallbladder damp-heat Shu Kan Wan or Xiao Yao San for Liver qi stagnation. Huang Lian Wen Dan Tang for phlegm and Stomach heat Having been given the assignment of writing an interesting presentation on Sinus, this is what we came up with. Just hope you find it interesting too!

Before we could go to what is good for sinus let us learn about sinus. It is a cavity in the cranium that acts as a bridge between the nostrils. Inflammation takes place due to blockage of air. It is also called sinusitis. They are divided into two acute and chronic sinus infections. The common indications are cold, congestion, facial pressure, nasal block to name a few. Medicines and antibiotics are available and though they give temporary relief only therapy gives you a permanent cure. :oops:

To get immediate relief add few drops of eucalyptus in hot water and inhale. It not only unclogs the nose but also acts as a preventing agent from further attacks. Although there was a lot of fluctuation in the writing styles of we independent writers, we have come up with an end product on Sinus Cavity worth reading!

Sinus infections are very painful and almost paralyze our daily routine, resulting in lack of productivity. It causes dullness and gloom. So a person who acquires this looks for what is good for sinus. The answer lies in an everlasting treatment for your aliments. The reason for getting infected by sinus may be of bacterial, fungal or viral. Locate the allergen and go for a cure. When a child shows a flicker of understanding when talking about Sinusitis, we feel that the objective of the meaning of Sinusitis being spread, being achieved.

Acupuncture is Also in Vogue

This is used for people who suffer from severe headaches. It is also advised you consult a medical doctor for immediate relief. Apart from this touch therapy of Acupressure is also effective method of treatment. Specific locations of pain are massaged using your fingers. Anti-fungal therapy is also cures chronic cases. Herbal products are common usage these days. It is only because that we are rather fluent on the subject of Sinus Infection that we have ventured on writing something so influential on Sinus Infection like this!

Let Us Go to a Detailed Study of What is Good for Sinus

Hydro Pulse Nasal irrigation is used to clear nasal cavity. The cilia movement is speedier and circulation is increased. It drains the mucous and cleanses the tongue, nose and throat. It could be used on children also.